Local Government Licensing Law in Scotland
A Practical Guide
By Stephen J McGowan
“For the first time in the history of Scots law an author has brought together a legal textbook which acts as a practical guide to the procedures of what is commonly known as “civic licensing”. This eclectic new title will provide local authority staff, solicitors, the police, enforcement officers and operators with an easy-to-read 350 page guide to the Civic Government (Scotland) Act 1982 and related legislation. The author takes account of all the latest developments including:
- the impact of the Criminal Justice and Licensing (Scotland) Act 2010
- the new public collections regime under the Charities and Trustee Investment (Scotland) Act 2005
- the new HMO regime under the Housing (Scotland) Act 2006
- New types of civic licences such as taxi booking offices and knife dealers, and the impact of the EU Services Directive
- Latest case law developments
- Cinema and theatre licensing theatres,
- Sports ground certification,
- Civil marriage approval
- Licences relating to animals
- Licences relating to hazardous goods
- and much more.
In each case the author guides us through application procedures, possible exemptions, perils and pitfalls, enforcement and offences, as well as real-life examples of how it all works in practice”.
“In his inimitable style Stephen has produced yet another work which will commend itself to the library of the busy licensing practitioner…the breadth of the work is quite astonishing. Once again he is to be commended for bringing a text onto the market which is both informative and entertaining. It is rare indeed that a legal text can be described as entertaining. It is no rarity when Stephen McGowan is the author” Scott Blair, Advocate, Murray Stable
Click on the link above to PRE-ORDER NOW.