I am a Scottish solicitor specialising in all forms of licensing law, most notably alcohol, gambling and civic licensing.
I am genuinely passionate about this area of law and have experienced the world of licensing in the trade itself, as a former barman, for a local authority (Glasgow Licensing Board), and then in private practice where I started as a licensing paralegal before qualifying as a solicitor in 2010. In 2013 I was made partner at national commercial law firm TLT LLP where I am Head of Licensing (Scotland).
I’ve been privileged to work with some fantastic colleagues and clients and am a vocal supporter of the positive contribution that this sector makes to Scotland and beyond. As a licensing solicitor at TLT LLP I spend most of my days appearing for clients at licensing board hearings all over Scotland. I have dealt with every conceivable type of licensing client and issue across alcohol, gambling and other trades such as taxi, street traders and so on.
In addition to my work as a solicitor representing the licensed trade I have a broad
– Chairman of BII Scotland since 2012, awarded CBII status in 2014 for services to the hospitality trade. Accredited BIIAB trainer and author of the SCPLH/r course book.
– Member of the Law Society of Scotland licensing Sub-committee.
– Member of the Institute of Licensing national advisory panel.
– Member of several Scottish Government working groups on licensing reform.
– Tutor of the CLT paralegal certificate in licensing law.
– Trustee of The Scottish Licensed Trade Benevolent Society (“The Ben”)
– Listed in both Chambers and Legal 500 as a recognised expert in licensing and gambling law
– Winner of highly prestigious Chairman’s Award at Law Awards of Scotland 2008, and Paralegal Award.
– Winner of Rising Star of the Year award at the Scottish Law Awards 2010.
– Author of Licensing and Gambling Law in Scotland (2009) (2nd edition underway), Local Government Licensing Law in Scotland (2012), Gaming in Pubs and Clubs (2008), and co-author of Gaming in Licensed Premises (2010).
– Serial contributor to all established licensed trade press and other national and legal publications (see @LicensingLaws library).
– Member of CAMRA Greater Glasgow Region.
– Member of Incorporation of Maltmen; and Incorporation of Coopers, at Trades House of Glasgow.
– Member of Business in Licensing (BIL) and member of the Gambling Working Group (GWG).
Find me on Twitter: @LicensingLaws.
Self confessed licensing law anorak.